Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 2

An Ode to Leftovers

I grew up lacking a lot of things but good food was not one of them. A main dish, rice and a side maybe even two, were always on the nightly menu. As children, my brother, sister and I were not allowed to leave the table without practically licking our plates clean. So, there was never a time where the words, "I'm full" ever left our mouths. It carried over into my adulthood and leaving a morsel of food behind is a nearly impossible.

Not only do I battle my plate-cleaning programming but then there's the guilt of all the starving children in Africa. I know I've repeated that warning to my own kids when they'd complain their tummies were about to burst. "Don't you know, there are starving African children wishing they could eat like you! So, finish all your food!" While it is true that there are many children suffering from malnutrition everywhere, it doesn't do the world a favor to keep fattening the rest of the population.

And then there are just some foods that taste better the next day. Plus, I really hate throwing out anything since that's just throwing out money. Which means I have an obligation to clear out the oh-so-helpful tupperware containers.

Now, I'm going to make every effort to cook what we can eat (not overeat) and make much smaller portions. So, pay attention leftovers. Despite our secret rendezvous, you're no longer welcome in my house. I'm done with you, Adios, Ciao, Sayonara, Beat it!

Today's successes:
I had a shake for breakfast. Took 1 round of tablets: Total control, Cell Activator and a Multitvitamin. Tonight for dinner, I managed to leave some food behind on my plate. I didn't build my usual mountain and kept it to a single layer. Mostly because of this blog, I managed to peel myself off the couch and climb onto my exercise bike. And did yoga for 20 minutes.

Today's mistakes:
I allowed myself to go too long without food because I was busy getting my kids to finish their christmas thank you cards. So, it was much, much to late to calmly think about lunch. So, I stood in front of the fridge shaking from low blood sugar and felt insanely hungry. I downed some leftover tako (octopus), 2 handfuls of iso peanuts and a bowl of LEFTOVER coleslaw. And I didn't drink much water.

I think I did much better than yesterday but my track record is that I do great for a few days and then crash and burn into a bag of Reese's pieces. Hopefully tomorrow's another step in the right direction.

(At this very moment I'm thinking about digging into my haagen das ice cream pint right after I post this...thought I'd confess that before I go! Good night!)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha.. why do we always have to go to Africa eh? Yea.. I have that same problem with finishing my plate. Now I have smaller plates so I eat less. :)
    btw, your lunch is NAAAASTYYY hahaha
    I keep a container of water in the fridge and I used to tell myself that I needed to finish it by today. It makes me have the daily amount of water I need.

    p.s. stop keeping fatty food in your house. It helps you not be tempted to eat it if it doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete